The Big Ben Caper was a crime perpetrated by Professor Ratigan at some point before 1897.
Ratigan mentions the Big Ben Caper in his song The World's Greatest Criminal Mind, though next to no details are given:
- « From the brain that brought you the Big Ben Caper,
- The head that made headlines in every newspaper… »
The Big Ben Caper was also mentioned in the deleted extended version of the song as the “Big Ben Crime”:
- « The Big Ben Crime
- Was fine for its time,
- But now that I'm back again…
- An even grimmer plot has been simmering,
- In my great criminal brain! »
This does not add many details either, though it does appear that however successful it may have been, the Big Ben Caper was inferior in scope to Coup at the Diamond Jubilee that Ratigan was planning at the time.